City Contour
Stanley: Seaside Delights 11
  • 友善列印版本

    07/2018

    Stanley was once the most populated area on Hong Kong Island. The many temples along the coast speak to its origins as a fishing village. It later became a military base with residences housing Europeans. Colonial-era public buildings that can still be found today include the local post office and the former police station with its colonnaded open verandas. A peculiar development in recent years has seen Stanley turned into a "dumping ground" for heritage buildings from elsewhere in Hong Kong.

     

    Stanley Municipal Services Building
    Opened in 2006, this building adopts a simple and modern design that adheres to green codes of construction. It features a walled courtyard modelled on traditional Chinese courtyard house, with a glass floor that allows sunlight to penetrate during the day, and lighting inside the hall to illuminate the courtyard at night.
     
    Old Stanley Police Station
    Completed in 1859, the station is the oldest police station in Hong Kong that has been preserved to this day. This two-story building features open verandas on both the front and at the back.
     
    Stanley Post Office
    In operation since 1937, this is the post office with the longest history in Hong Kong. It was built in a utilitarian style with wooden beams and trusses, plastered walls, and wooden doors and windows.
     
    Stanley Public Dispensary
    The Dispensary was originally a 1930's residential building. It was later redeveloped into a public clinic and maternity ward in 1948 under the supervision of the Department of Health, providing medical services to the nearby residents who earned a living by fishing.
     
    Pat Kan Uk
    Pat Kan Uk was built in the 1930's to relocate residents displaced by barracks construction during the British occupation. Its design is a blending of East and West, with a traditional Chinese layout and walls built with Western-style red bricks, a building material commonly used in western architecture.
     
    Shui Sin Temple
    Completed during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor (1736-1795), this is the only temple in Hong Kong that worships the water deity, Shui Sin. The temple is in Qing rustic style with brick walls, while the steps and corners are made of granite.
     
    Murray House
    Constructed in 1844, Murray House incorporates both Eastern and Western styles in its architectural design. The Greek-revival pillars and Chinese-style tile roof were part of the Murray Barracks. The building underwent brick-by-brick relocation to Stanley in 1998.
     
    Blake Pier
    The original Blake Pier was located in Central, and was relocated to its existing site in Stanley after several iterations of demolition and redevelopment. It was once a place of disembarkation for the new Governor, members of the Royal family and important figures upon arrival to Hong Kong. It is now a public pier with ferry services offered between Aberdeen and Po Toi Island.
     
    Tin Hau Temple
    Stanley Tin Hau Temple was built in the Qing dynasty in 1767, during the reign of Qianlong Emperor. The temple was designed in Chinese courtyard style with an atrium in the middle. The temple still retains the Qing-era bronze bell.
    Share articles